Jail Avoided on Fourth Degree Driving While Suspended in Union County

Attorney Representation Helps Union County Driver Avoid Jail and Suspension for Fourth Degree Driving While Suspended

Yesterday, we achieved a fantastic result for a client who was technically facing a Fourth Degree Driving While Suspended charge for having driven while on a suspension period for his second DWI. To make a long story short, he was able to walk out of the municipal court in Union County with just some small fines due to the representation of his attorney and some sound advice leading up to his court appearance. You can bet that the client was relieved (to put it mildly) that the Fourth Degree Driving While Suspended is no longer weighing on his mind, and that he avoided an 18-month jail sentence entirely with our assistance.

Driving While Suspended can be a Criminal Charge of the Fourth Degree

As a quick recap, driving while suspended is typically a non-criminal traffic offense. Under N.J.S.A. 39:3-40(f), this ticket’s ordinary penalties are enhanced when the suspension of the license was a result of a conviction for DWI under N.J.S.A. 39:4-50. Having two or more Driving While Suspended tickets on a single DWI suspension, or one Driving While Suspended ticket during a second or subsequent DWI requires that the state treat the offense under N.J.S.A. 2C:40-26 (Full Text). The penalties for a Fourth Degree Driving While Suspended conviction include up to $10,000 in fines, an 18-month jail sentence (with parole ineligibility), and a license suspension of more than two (2) years.

Hiring an Attorney for Fourth Degree Driving While Suspended Charges

While such excellent results like yesterday are not typical, an attorney can always help try to find ways to reduce or eliminate Fourth Degree Driving While Suspended charges. If you or someone you know are facing any driving while suspended charges in Union County, or any other municipality in New Jersey, our firm can help. Contact us today for a free consultation. We can be reached 24/7 at 1 (800) 509-3333.

Speak Your Mind