Five Point Speeding Ticket Downgraded to Zero Point Offense

New Jersey Traffic Attorney

Just recently I was retained to handle a Speeding violation, N.J.S.A. 39:4-98, on behalf of a client. The individual was ticketed for driving 40 MPH over the posted limit of 55 MPH. Moreover, this specific offense occurred in a Safe Corridor Zone (this permits a judge to double the fines).

In New Jersey, Speeding offenses fall under three (3) categories of severity. First, are those offenses involving anywhere from 1-14 MPH over the limit. Under this section, you would be subject to a two (2) point accumulation on your driving abstract by New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission. Speeding, under N.J.S.A. 39:4-98, at a rate of 15-29 MPH over the posted limit is a four (4) point offense. Lastly, any speeding in excess of 30 MPH over the limit exposes an individual to five (5) points on their drivers abstract.

In addition to points and fines, judges begin to consider suspending an individual’s driving privileges for offenses that involve rates of speed 40+ MPH over the posted limit. Unfortunately for my client, they were right on that border of 40 MPH over the posted limit.

Speeding Ticket Lawyer

When I appeared at the municipal court, I was able to engage in plea bargaining with the Municipal Prosecutor. Due to the facts of my case, I alerted the State to the fact that they would have certain important proof issues should they proceed to take this case to trial. Based on this and other representations, I was able to negotiate a plea whereby the State would amend the ticket to a zero-point violation and would only include a minimal fine. Our client accepted the plea was happy to walk away with a no-point violation, continuation of her driving privileges, and a light court-imposed fine.

If you or someone you love were stopped and issued a motor vehicle summons for Speeding 39:4-98, help is available. The lawyers at the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall are well-equipped to defend you against any charges you have pending at the Municipal or Superior Court level. For immediate assistance, contact our office at 1-877-450-8301.

Speak Your Mind